Virtual reality simulated training provides a virtual environment1 where surgeons can practice techniques. Medical professionals use virtual reality to perform training and demonstrations and plan operations in a risk-free space. This technology also benefits patients directly and indirectly. Learn how virtual reality training for surgeons offers multiple advantages to patients.
The virtual reality space gives medical professionals a place to test new techniques2 while using minimal physical resources. Surgeons can repeat the same procedures as many times as they like to further develop their skills.
Since virtual reality doesn’t involve a patient or cadaver, the user can experiment with techniques without worry of harm. Virtual reality simulations offer risk-free operating environments for exploring new tools and procedures.
Research demonstrates that virtual reality can improve surgical performance by as much as 230 percent3. As a result, patients benefit from better procedure results. These factors could contribute to more accurate surgeries through virtual reality training:
A study also suggests that virtual reality simulation training can increase operation speed by as much as 20 percent3. When a doctor performs an operation faster, they can keep a patient under anesthesia for a shorter time. Reduced time under anesthesia provides benefits such as4:
Hospitals lower their long-term costs through virtual reality training, and those savings are potentially passed on to the patient. Virtual reality training reduces the hospital’s need for practice cadavers, which cost thousands of dollars each5. With a virtual reality simulation, the user has the ability to repeat a specific step or a surgery limitless times, whereas this is not possible with a cadaver.
Training through virtual reality allows medical professionals to render better aid to their patients. Request custom virtual reality training by contacting our team online6.
1. Medical VR and Surgical Simulations in Virtual Reality. Ghost Productions. /medical-vr-virtual-reality/. Accessed October 22, 2019.
2. Agha RA, Fowler AJ. The Role and Validity of Surgical Simulation. International Surgery. 2015;100(2):350-357. doi:10.9738/intsurg-d-14-00004.1.
3. Allen D. Osso VR Expands Its Reach, Shares Study Results. MDDI Online. https://www.mddionline.com/osso-vr-expands-its-reach-shares-study-results. Published August 7, 2019. Accessed October 22, 2019.
4. Phan K, Kim JS, Kim JH, et al. Anesthesia Duration as an Independent Risk Factor for Early Postoperative Complications in Adults Undergoing Elective ACDF. Global Spine Journal. 2017;7(8):727-734. doi:10.1177/2192568217701105.
5. LaMantia J. Medical residents can now practice virtual operations before they ever touch a live patient. Crain’s New York Business. https://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20180820/FEATURES/180819919/medical-residents-can-now-practice-virtual-operations-before-they-ever-touch-a-live-patient. Published August 20, 2018. Accessed October 22, 2019.
6. Contact Ghost Productions Today – Start a Medical Animation Project. Ghost Productions. /contact/. Accessed October 22, 2019.
Improve your ability to produce AI generated art for medical images with this handy guide to using our Medical Frontend/Prompt Generato
Interview with John Stark, the founder of Ilion Medical Inc., during the North American Spine Society (NASS) 2023.
One single VR headset provides more than enough capability to not only allow surgeons to explore their entire range of surgical robots
Ghost Productions is an award-winning medical media production company that can help you with custom medical animation and marketing services. We offer a wide array of digital representation services that can help anyone in the medical field improve their marketing, support patient communication efforts, or even streamline staff training. Our team is highly trained and has a great understanding of biomedical processes, so they can accurately represent your device or product in a 3D medical animation, or other types of illustrations you may be interested in. Contact Ghost Productions now and tell us more about how we can help you train your surgeons, sell more medical devices, or explain your pharmaceutical product.